The club was founded in 1892 being first known as Twyford & Compton. Initially various fields were used to play their cricket on and then after the First World War a permanent ground was obtained at Shawford Park. This remained in use until 1946. Thanks to Colonel Curtis the club was able to move to “Knighton” where they stayed until the present ground “Hunter Park” was opened in 1963.
The Club has had many locally well-known people involved in the day-to-day running of its affairs. Former Presidents have been E.C. McDonnell and Anthony Hill; the latter being in office from 1938 until the late 1970s. Former captains included W. Young, J. Judd and R.A. Richardson whilst former secretaries included W. Gandy, L.H. Kennaway, and F.L. Compton. The Club has had its fair share of outstanding players such as Jack Watling, Jim Wilmot, Frank Green, M. Risbridger, Ray Richardson, and Dr. Waddy. Maurice Risbridger headed both batting and bowling averages for three successive seasons and played representative cricket for the Association from 1948 until 1957. He hit 101 not out opening against Eastleigh & District in 1949 and scored a fifty in 1951 whilst he won the Tichborne Trophy individual batting award in 1971 with an innings of 73. Dr. Waddy played for Twyford in 1950s as a medium fast bowler and captained The Association’s side for many seasons. He later became President of The Association. Both Maurice Risbridger and Dr. Waddy were awarded The Association Badge for their services to cricket as well as Sid Prince and Alan Carter. It is interesting to learn that three generations of the Robert’s family, Doctors George, Marsden and Michael were closely connected to the Club as was Dr. Mallinson.
In the early part of the century the Club owned a horse and they used to hire a horse brake to take them to away matches. The umpire’s fee was 5p (one shilling) for several years. Ray Richardson
looked after the ground for many years but was well known for his Annual Dinner arrangements at the Parish Hall. Notable speakers included Harry Altham, Cecil Paris, Desmond Eagar, Hubert Doggart and county cricketers Roy Marshall, Jimmy Gray and Gerald Hill.
The Club joined the Association in 1947 at the time entries were being sought for the new knock-out competition. They ended up as the losing finalists and it took them until 1976 to achieve a winning status in The Tichborne Trophy. They were beaten finalists in 1978 and again in 1988. With village status they entered the Igglesden Trophy competition becoming winners in 1965 and runners-up on five other occasions. The Club entered the Hampshire League in 1974 and have retained membership with David Rowe gaining top-spot for bowling in South East Division 11 in 1981 season. The Club carried out ground improvements at Hunters Park in 1988 to add to the original part opened in 1964.
Dr Waddy was a Medical Specialist on Tropical Diseases. He was Australian and played cricket from an early age thanks to his uncle who played international cricket for Australia! Educated at Oxford University via Marlborough College in 1930, he played cricket for both places as well as for Authentics, Harlequins, Grasshoppers and MCC. When not on the field he was the Overseas Medical Officer of The Save the Children Fund and Consultant for The World Health Organisation. He also found time to write a book titled ‘A Word Before You Go’, on travel and how to care for oneself whilst abroad. He played for Oxford University in 1932 playing four matches but no Blue.
He was described as a lower order right-hand batsman and right-arm medium pace bowler. His final first-class match was for MCC in 1936. His father, Canon P S Waddy also played First Class cricket for Oxford University in 1896-97 being a Blue both years. Canon Waddy had two brothers who both played for New South Wales.
The Rev Earnest Waddy also played for Warwickshire and toured Ceylon with an Australian XI in 1913/4; cricket was definitely in the Waddy family’s blood!
Thanks to David Williams Vice-President of WDCCA for the background information taken from the original notes of Bill Sedgwick.