Twyford, coming off the back of a tight win, looked to be arriving at 4th placed Michelmersh & Timsbury with 10 men, thankfully Lee Nicholas’ brother Rob got a late call up to make it 11. Captain Nick Moreland called correctly at the toss and elected to bat on a decent looking wicket with a small boundary.

Moreland and Kevin West opened in glorious sunshine and saw off the first few overs from the openers, Moreland getting dropped on 8 at midwicket the only chance. Moreland was hitting boundaries at one end with relative ease, although was dropped again in the 20’s off a top edge that went very high. West, attempting to channel some of Moreland’s luck, chipped the ball in the air to midwicket but was caught. With Alex Reidy away, Lee Nicholas came out to bat at 3 with strict instructions to take his time. Third ball, big swing, leg stump uprooted. Will Patterson joined Moreland at the wicket with Twyford faltering, and steadily the two batsmen started building a partnership, Moreland passing fifty in the 13th over, including 12 fours. Patterson was hitting bad balls whilst carefully watching the good balls as Michelmersh’s captain rung about the bowling changes. Drinks came with Twyford 129-2 after 21 overs and a big score looked on the cards. Moreland kept on punishing the bad balls and soon reached a hundred, his second for Twyford. Patterson passed fifty quite comfortably too – his first for the club, batting very nicely. Moreland was eventually caught off a leading edge at cover for 135 bringing an end to a 148 run partnership. A promoted Tom Watson came to the middle and the running between the wickets was quick and well-judged. Patterson continued to bludgeon the bowling on his way to 82* whilst Watson rapidly moved into the twenties, hitting the last ball of the innings way over the sightscreen for 6! Twyford ended on a commanding 267-3 and tea tasted a bit better than normal!

After tea, Tom Ducker and John Paine opened the bowling, Ducker causing problems early on and removed one of the openers first ball. John Paine took two wickets in two balls a bit later, including one off an appallingly disguised googly that almost bounced twice! The number 3, Millar, was hitting the ball hard to all parts of the ground. Partly due to a tight hamstring, there were few singles, just boundaries. He failed to receive much support from the other end, as wickets fell regularly. Matt Paine was introduced and after coming round the wicket, speared one in quickly to the legs of the batsman and it cannoned off his pads into his stumps. Watson was introduced and started bowling accurately, with the odd one turning. Millar took him for a few runs but Watson also took three wickets, including a good diving caught and bowled. There was a mix up between the batsmen which led to Lee Nicholas’ throw from the deep being too good for one of them. Millar was eventually run out for a brilliant 98, his hamstring problems proving to be too much for a second run to Lee Nicholas’ throw again from the deep. Wyatt Brennan came on and after a brief partnership for the last wicket he bowled the number 9 and Twyford completed a big victory.

Thanks to Nobby Bance for umpiring again, always a pleasure, and Rob Nicholas for playing at such late notice and plugging that gap very well in the field.

Twyford 267-3

N. Moreland 135
W. Patterson 82*

Michelmersh & Timsbury II 183 all out

T. Watson 3-52

Next match is away vs Over Wallop, 11th July, 2pm start.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *