Twyford seniors travelled to Silchester on a sunny but chilly Saturday afternoon. Silchester had a lovely home ground, the wicket was hard and the outfield was fast. Nick Moreland lost the toss and Silchester opted bowl, however he was hoping to bat had he won the toss.

Kevin West and Henry Phillips opened the batting and faced a quick and accurate opening spell from left-arm bowlers at either end. Even with the swinging ball, Phillips rocked back and cut his first ball to the point fence for four. West followed with a couple of fours of his own before he was bowled off his pad for 10, Phillips following shortly after as he was given caught at slip after a few juggles. Alex Reidy and Max Watson came to the crease and Reidy started to show why he was the form batsman in the team with a succession of boundaries, driving particularly well through the covers. Max Watson struggled a little with his timing and was out without troubling the scorers. Debutant Will Patterson came to the wicket with Twyford in a little trouble and continued to have a nice little partnership with Reidy, who was still dispatching anything overpitched through the covers. After a couple of fours, Patterson mistimed a drive over mid off and was caught. Moreland came to the crease and sliced the ball through backward point to get going and then clipped a full toss through midwicket. Reidy then misjudged a ball and slashed a back-foot drive to the keeper who took a good catch, he top scored with 37. Tom Watson came and went relatively quickly, mistiming a drive and rather tamely chipping it to mid off. Moreland followed soon after, getting an edge attempting a cut shot and the keeper did the rest. Wyatt Brennan and Tom Ducker scored some decent lower order runs, whilst also staying at the crease (something most of the rest of the team failed to do!). The two Paine’s Matt and John got the score past 125, even if John hit the ball to within a foot of the boundary but refused to run as he was sure it was going for four! Twyford were eventually bowled out for 126.

After a very impressive tea, Twyford opened the bowling with good pace and a tight line. The Silchester openers failed to score a run off the bat in the first 5 overs! After a string of plays and misses the Silchester openers finally started finding the middle of the bat until Tom Ducker quite brilliantly held on to a diving one handed catch in the gully after the batsman had slashed at a short and wide delivery. Matt Paine was swinging the ball nicely away from the left handed batsman who then came to the crease and the runs dried up again, an edge through the slips as close as it gets without getting someone out! The left handed number 3 then damaged his shoulder whilst driving a ball through the covers and had to retire hurt. Silchester’s captain then set about playing his shots from ball one. He slashed a ball from John Paine over the slip cordon for a boundary before pulling one straight to Reidy at midwicket, usually a safe pair of hands, only for him to drop what seemed a relatively easy catch – it just wasn’t going to be Twyford’s day! As he raced to his fifty his opening partner continued to score at a very slow rate and be bogged down by some good bowling from Wyatt Brennan, Matt Paine and Wyatt Brennan. Silchester’s captain hit a six to win the match and bring up his fifty. Twyford had done enough with the ball to have won the game, with 4 catches going down and with Silchester scoring at a slow rate, it may well have been different.

Twyford 126 all out

D. Henwood 4-34

Silchester 132-1

L. Jones 52*

Silchester won by 9 wickets. The next match is Home vs. Otterbourne – 6th June, 2pm start.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *